Stage 1 – Demand Payment

Owed money by an individual, sole trader or business?

Are you a private landlord of residential property that wants to seek possession of your investment property?

Mercian Law can help.

  • If your debtor a sole trader or an individual, please read our compulsory steps before issuing a claim to ensure compliance with The Pre-action Protocol for Debt Claims.
  • If you are a business with a debtor that is a business, please read our guidance on Late Payment of Interest Notices for information on claiming additional statutory interest and compensation for late payment.
  • If your debtor owes you over £750 and the debt is not disputed, please read our guidance on Statutory Demands for information on when and how to serve a statutory demand and how to challenge one.

For money claims:

  • Statement of account
  • Copy invoices
  • Terms of business/ contract/ agreement with the debtor
  • Contact details (name, address, telephone number & email address) of person that can agree payment terms

For possession claims:

  • Copy of AST agreement
  • Copy of deposit lodgement certificate & prescribed information (certificate of service for proof of service)
  • How to rent leaflet & proof of service
  • Energy performance certificate and proof of service
  • Gas safety certificate and proof of service
  • Details of any complaints or repairs requested by the tenant
  • Copy of any Improvement Notice received from local authority
  • Letting agents (if you have one) tenant reference report
  • Guarantor’s details (if you have one)